Updated Jan 11, 2013 - 11:18 am
Report: D-backs would have received Taijuan Walker, others in Justin Upton deal
Now we know who those players were.
According to CBSSports.com, Arizona was set to receive three pitchers and a shortstop.
The deal would have sent three or four players back to Arizona, according to CBSSports.com sources. Included among those players would have been relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and prized pitching prospect Taijuan Walker.
Before settling on Walker, the Diamondbacks also discussed top Seattle pitching prospects James Paxton and lefty Danny Hultzen. The clubs also discussed the possibility of a second player accompanying Upton to Seattle in the deal. The identity of that player, believed to be a low level minor leaguer, is not known.
Walker, 20, would be the prize of the deal. The number two prospect in the Mariners organization according to Baseball America, he is a right-handed pitcher, he's posted a 14-16 record with a 3.83 ERA over the course of three minor league seasons. He's struck out 240 batters in 230.1 innings of work.
Furbush and Pryor are both relief pitchers. Furbush posted a 5-2 record with 2.72 ERA in 46.1 innings of work last year, while Pryor went 3-1 with a 3.91 ERA in 23 innings.
Franklin, who is a 21-year-old shortstop, is regarded as a good prospect at a position where the D-backs have some uncertainty. He's posted a .283 batting average over four minor league seasons, but hit just .243 for Triple-A Tacoma last year.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?