Updated Jan 11, 2013 - 11:32 pm
Report: New York Mets interested in trading for Justin Upton
The New York Mets have long been the younger brother in the Big Apple, and after losing notable pieces in recent years (Carlos Beltran, Jason Bay, Angel Pagan and 2012 Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey), general manager Sandy Alderson would love nothing more than to make a back page splash.
According to Maric Carig of Newsday, that splash not surprisingly may come in the form of Upton:
Sources say the Mets are again interested in trading for Justin Upton. But it's a longshot that they'll give up enough prospects for a deal.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) January 12, 2013
The prospects GM Kevin Towers most likely covets (pitchers Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Famila and infielder Wilmer Flores) will assuredly be difficult to obtain as Carig mentions.
Heading into 2013, Wheeler (No.1), Flores (No. 6) and Famila (No.8) are ranked among the organization's top 10 prospects by Baseball America.
Harvey went 3-5 with 70 strikeouts and a 2.73 ERA after being called up in July. He is familiar with Chase Field, however. In his MLB debut, Harvey gave up only three hits, while striking out 11 batters in 3-1 win over the D-backs.
Another day, another rumor in the life of Justin Upton.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.