Updated Jan 11, 2013 - 11:32 pm
Report: New York Mets interested in trading for Justin Upton
The New York Mets have long been the younger brother in the Big Apple, and after losing notable pieces in recent years (Carlos Beltran, Jason Bay, Angel Pagan and 2012 Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey), general manager Sandy Alderson would love nothing more than to make a back page splash.
According to Maric Carig of Newsday, that splash not surprisingly may come in the form of Upton:
Sources say the Mets are again interested in trading for Justin Upton. But it's a longshot that they'll give up enough prospects for a deal.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) January 12, 2013
The prospects GM Kevin Towers most likely covets (pitchers Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Famila and infielder Wilmer Flores) will assuredly be difficult to obtain as Carig mentions.
Heading into 2013, Wheeler (No.1), Flores (No. 6) and Famila (No.8) are ranked among the organization's top 10 prospects by Baseball America.
Harvey went 3-5 with 70 strikeouts and a 2.73 ERA after being called up in July. He is familiar with Chase Field, however. In his MLB debut, Harvey gave up only three hits, while striking out 11 batters in 3-1 win over the D-backs.
Another day, another rumor in the life of Justin Upton.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.