Updated Jan 13, 2013 - 10:47 am
Report: New York Yankees likely not in on Justin Upton
Although the New York Yankees are certainly in the market for a right-handed bat, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Brian Cashman and Co. probably won't be swapping phone calls with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers.
The Yankees' newfound mantra of fiscal responsibility - a $189 million payroll in 2014, not a penny more - has stifled a number of potential moves this winter, including their willingness to meet the Diamondbacks' price for the two-time All-Star.
The Yankees indeed want to add a right-handed hitter but haven't picked up their pursuit of Upton in the days since he was nearly dealt to Seattle, according to major-league sources.
In addition to their desire to conserve payroll, the Bronx Bombers are not short on outfielders (Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner, Matt Diaz) and have a dearth of talented prospects in their farm system that would help consummate a trade.
So while the Yankees have been known to spend money at will in order to acquire the biggest name, don't expect Upton to trade in sedona red for pinstripes any time soon.
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.