Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Diamondbacks, J.J. Putz agree to one-year extension
The extension, coupled with the option the team exercised in October, will keep the reliever under contract through the 2014 season.
"J.J. has provided much-needed leadership and stability for our bullpen the last two years," said D-backs GM Kevin Towers in a press release. "He has been an integral piece and helped set the foundation for our bullpen's turnaround so we are excited to have him in place the next two seasons."
Putz, 35, posted a 1-5 record with a 2.82 ERA in 2012. He saved 32 games and struck out 65 batters in 54.1 innings of work.
Putz joined the D-backs prior to the 2011 season, when he went on to be one of the best closers on one of the league's best teams. He saved 45 games that year, and had an ERA of just 2.17 in 58 innings of work.
"I'm very happy to be a member of the great D-backs organization and family though 2014," said Putz in the press release. "It's special to be with my family year round so we're all really excited."
Putz, who has also pitched for the Mariners, Mets and White Sox, has a career ERA of 3.04 with 183 saves.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?