Cruise possibly latest target of fake 911 call
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Tom Cruise may be the latest so-called "swatting" victim after police responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at the actor's Beverly Hills house on Thursday and found no crime had been committed, authorities said.
Shortly after noon, police received a call reporting a robbery in progress, Sgt. Renato Moreno said. Officers responded to the house, spoke with private security and then conducted a search. Nothing was found.
Cruise and his family weren't home when the call was made. There were no arrests.
Police are investigating the incident as a false report of an emergency, a practice that has been dubbed "swatting" because it is intended to get multiple officers, including specialized SWAT teams sent to a home.
In December, a juvenile was arrested after allegedly making calls that reported violence at the homes of Justin Bieber and Ashton Kutcher. Prosecutors are reviewing the case and haven't yet made a decision on whether to file charges.
Similar hoax calls have been made involving the homes of Miley Cyrus and Simon Cowell.
Responding to such calls usually means more than half of the emergency resources in Beverly Hills are being used, Moreno said.
"It certainly is something that ties us up," Moreno said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.