Bolshoi ballet dancer: Not guilty of acid attack
MOSCOW (AP) - A Bolshoi ballet dancer who is accused of ordering an acid attack on the company's ballet chief pleaded not guilty Tuesday as his trial began in Moscow.
Dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko is suspected of ordering the Jan. 17 attack on ballet artistic director Sergei Filin, which left Filin with severe burns to his face and his eyes, impairing his vision.
Dmitrichenko entered his plea as a Russian judge began hearing the trial into the attack that has exposed a fierce power struggle at the famous Russian theater.
Two other men on trial with the ballet dancer are Yuri Zarutsky, the suspected attacker, and Andrei Lipatov, the driver who allegedly took Zarutsky to the crime scene.
In his court testimony Tuesday, Dmitrichenko contested prosecutors' allegations that he colluded with Zarutsky, an ex-convict, to attack the artistic director.
Zarutsky was planning to send his daughter to a ballet school and was asking for his advice, the ballet dancer said, explaining how Zarutsky found out who Filin was.
"I had no animosity toward Filin," Dmitrichenko said. "Zarutsky committed the crime on his own."
Dmitrichenko told the court that he did tell Zarutsky that he disapproved of Filin's management style. But he insisted that he always spoke highly of Filin, a former ballet star, as an excellent dancer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.