Bolshoi ballet dancer: Not guilty of acid attack
MOSCOW (AP) - A Bolshoi ballet dancer who is accused of ordering an acid attack on the company's ballet chief pleaded not guilty Tuesday as his trial began in Moscow.
Dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko is suspected of ordering the Jan. 17 attack on ballet artistic director Sergei Filin, which left Filin with severe burns to his face and his eyes, impairing his vision.
Dmitrichenko entered his plea as a Russian judge began hearing the trial into the attack that has exposed a fierce power struggle at the famous Russian theater.
Two other men on trial with the ballet dancer are Yuri Zarutsky, the suspected attacker, and Andrei Lipatov, the driver who allegedly took Zarutsky to the crime scene.
In his court testimony Tuesday, Dmitrichenko contested prosecutors' allegations that he colluded with Zarutsky, an ex-convict, to attack the artistic director.
Zarutsky was planning to send his daughter to a ballet school and was asking for his advice, the ballet dancer said, explaining how Zarutsky found out who Filin was.
"I had no animosity toward Filin," Dmitrichenko said. "Zarutsky committed the crime on his own."
Dmitrichenko told the court that he did tell Zarutsky that he disapproved of Filin's management style. But he insisted that he always spoke highly of Filin, a former ballet star, as an excellent dancer.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.