Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with four players
According to a team press release, the D-backs agreed to terms on one-year contracts with ace Ian Kennedy, right-handed pitcher Brad Ziegler, infielder Chris Johnson and left-handed hurler Tony Sipp.
Kennedy had a record of 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA last season for the D-backs. The 28-year-old was nominated for the National League Cy Young Award in 2011 after posting a 21-4 record and helped lead the D-backs to the National League West title.
The 28-year-old Johnson was acquired in July for the Astros to help bolster third base from the D-backs, who had struggled to gain production out of that position in 2012. He hit .281 with 15 home runs and 76 RBI in 136 games combined with Houston and Arizona last season.
The 33-year-old Ziegler posted career-best marks in wins, innings pitched, opponents average and appearances in his first full campaign with Arizona last season. The 33-year-old has emerged as an integral part of the D-backs bullpen.
Sipp held a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.42 ERA in 63 games with the Cleveland Indians last year. He came to the D-backs via a three-team trade on December 10, 2012.
The D-backs have still have not reached deals with two other arbitration-eligible players Gerardo Parra and Cliff Pennington.
- Arizona Diamondbacks acquire 3 as players to be named later from December trades
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.