Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with four players
According to a team press release, the D-backs agreed to terms on one-year contracts with ace Ian Kennedy, right-handed pitcher Brad Ziegler, infielder Chris Johnson and left-handed hurler Tony Sipp.
Kennedy had a record of 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA last season for the D-backs. The 28-year-old was nominated for the National League Cy Young Award in 2011 after posting a 21-4 record and helped lead the D-backs to the National League West title.
The 28-year-old Johnson was acquired in July for the Astros to help bolster third base from the D-backs, who had struggled to gain production out of that position in 2012. He hit .281 with 15 home runs and 76 RBI in 136 games combined with Houston and Arizona last season.
The 33-year-old Ziegler posted career-best marks in wins, innings pitched, opponents average and appearances in his first full campaign with Arizona last season. The 33-year-old has emerged as an integral part of the D-backs bullpen.
Sipp held a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.42 ERA in 63 games with the Cleveland Indians last year. He came to the D-backs via a three-team trade on December 10, 2012.
The D-backs have still have not reached deals with two other arbitration-eligible players Gerardo Parra and Cliff Pennington.
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.