Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with four players
According to a team press release, the D-backs agreed to terms on one-year contracts with ace Ian Kennedy, right-handed pitcher Brad Ziegler, infielder Chris Johnson and left-handed hurler Tony Sipp.
Kennedy had a record of 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA last season for the D-backs. The 28-year-old was nominated for the National League Cy Young Award in 2011 after posting a 21-4 record and helped lead the D-backs to the National League West title.
The 28-year-old Johnson was acquired in July for the Astros to help bolster third base from the D-backs, who had struggled to gain production out of that position in 2012. He hit .281 with 15 home runs and 76 RBI in 136 games combined with Houston and Arizona last season.
The 33-year-old Ziegler posted career-best marks in wins, innings pitched, opponents average and appearances in his first full campaign with Arizona last season. The 33-year-old has emerged as an integral part of the D-backs bullpen.
Sipp held a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.42 ERA in 63 games with the Cleveland Indians last year. He came to the D-backs via a three-team trade on December 10, 2012.
The D-backs have still have not reached deals with two other arbitration-eligible players Gerardo Parra and Cliff Pennington.
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?