Unknown Sandburg poem found in university archive
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - A poem by the late writer Carl Sandburg that appears to have been previously unknown has turned up in the archives of the University of Illinois.
The university says the poem, entitled "A Revolver," was found last week by retired professor Ernie Gullerud as he helped index in Sandburg's archives in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
The poem was typed on a manual typewriter. It begins with four lines on the revolver in question. The last two are: "It delivers unmistakable ultimatums. It is the last word."
George Hendrick is an English professor emeritus at Illinois who edited several volumes of Sandburg's poems. He said the poem is authentic and might have been inspired by President Lincoln's assassination.
The poem is undated. The Illinois-born Sandburg died in 1967.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.