Review: `Cover of Snow' asks hard questions
(AP) - "Cover of Snow" (Ballantine), by Jenny Milchman
Jenny Milchman's debut novel, "Cover of Snow," intimately examines the life of a woman who is in grief and pain, doubt and shock, following the death of her husband.
Nora Hamilton woke up after a wonderful night of passion and reconciliation to find an empty bed. She discovers her husband, Brendan, hanging from a rope. From all outward appearances, he was happy, and Nora doesn't believe he took his own life. It makes no sense that he would kill himself, and he didn't leave a note.
The friends and family she could depend on while he was alive are now distant. All Nora wants are the answers to why Brendan died, and looking for them will take her on a journey that will have her questioning her sanity- and the man she married.
Brendan is somewhat of an enigma since the reader never gets to see him alive, but that's the point. The first-person account told from Nora's point of view thrusts the narrative full force into horror, sadness and every other emotion Nora experiences as she must start over without Brendan.
It's really not much of a surprise when the answers to Brendan's death are revealed. But what makes "Cover of Snow" sing is Milchman's ability to make readers care for Nora as she suffers and starts anew.
How well do we know our loved ones, and how will we cope when they're gone? These hard and uncomfortable questions propel Nora's story as we examine those questions for ourselves.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.