Prince Harry ends role as helicopter pilot
LONDON (AP) - Prince Harry is ending his role as a helicopter pilot and taking up a new job with the army in London, royal officials said Friday.
Kensington Palace said Harry- known in the army as Capt. Wales- will be organizing significant commemorative events involving the army in his new role.
Harry, 29, spent more than three years training to be and serving as an Apache helicopter pilot, completing a tour in Afghanistan last year as a co-pilot gunner.
In July, he qualified to command an Apache- the culmination of his training.
Harry now will be a staff officer at HQ London District, which plans ceremonial events such as Trooping the Color and state visits.
His new role could involve helping bring the Warrior Games to the U.K.- something Harry said he was keen to see happen after attending the event last year in Colorado.
The Warrior Games are a Paralympic-style event for wounded service members.
Kensington Palace said feasibility work is being carried out about the possibility of Britain hosting the inaugural International Warrior Games.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.