Prince Harry ends role as helicopter pilot
LONDON (AP) - Prince Harry is ending his role as a helicopter pilot and taking up a new job with the army in London, royal officials said Friday.
Kensington Palace said Harry- known in the army as Capt. Wales- will be organizing significant commemorative events involving the army in his new role.
Harry, 29, spent more than three years training to be and serving as an Apache helicopter pilot, completing a tour in Afghanistan last year as a co-pilot gunner.
In July, he qualified to command an Apache- the culmination of his training.
Harry now will be a staff officer at HQ London District, which plans ceremonial events such as Trooping the Color and state visits.
His new role could involve helping bring the Warrior Games to the U.K.- something Harry said he was keen to see happen after attending the event last year in Colorado.
The Warrior Games are a Paralympic-style event for wounded service members.
Kensington Palace said feasibility work is being carried out about the possibility of Britain hosting the inaugural International Warrior Games.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.