Lagerfeld supports gay marriage in lesbian couture
PARIS (AP) - Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel's veteran couturier, has shown his support for the legalization of gay marriage in France by sending two models down a catwalk wearing couture bridal gowns.
He did that to cap Paris' Grand Palais fashion show on Tuesday and also had a young nephew of his accompany the women models as they walked forward holding hands.
Francois Hollande plans to legalize gay marriage and thus allow same-sex couples to adopt and conceive children. But not everyone in France agrees that's the way to go. On Jan. 13, hundreds of thousands of people marched in Paris to oppose such a law.
Asked if his use of lesbian couture at his show was designed to support gay marriage in France, Lagerfeld replied: "Of course it was."
"I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France) the church and state have been separate," the German-born designer told The Associated Press. He said people who consider marriage a sacred religious union can continue that tradition in their churches, temples, synagogues and mosques, but that all religions should tolerate gay marriage.
However, Lagerfeld also said he opposes allowing gay couples to father children born through artificial insemination.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.