Final suspect in Dutch art heist arrested
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - British police have arrested the final suspect in the theft of paintings by Matisse, Picasso and Monet from a Dutch museum.
In a statement Friday, prosecutors said Adrian Procop, one of two thieves who allegedly carried out the heist at Rotterdam's Kunsthal Museum in October 2012, was arrested Thursday in Britain.
British police confirmed that Procop appeared at London's Westminster Magistrate's Court and has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance, set for Dec. 13.
London's Metropolitan Police said Procop was originally arrested for allegedly possessing a false identity document. He was arrested again on a European warrant issued by Romanian authorities for suspicion of professional theft relating to the paintings.
Two other suspects, Radu Dogaru and Eugen Darie, were found guilty of theft and belonging to a criminal organization and sentenced to six years and eight months in prison by a Bucharest court last month. Darie transported the stolen paintings to Romania.
Trial resumes Dec. 3 for Olga Dogaru, Radu's mother, and two others. Olga Dogaru told prosecutors she burned the seven paintings worth 18 million euros ($24.6 million) but later retracted that statement.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.