Final suspect in Dutch art heist arrested
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - British police have arrested the final suspect in the theft of paintings by Matisse, Picasso and Monet from a Dutch museum.
In a statement Friday, prosecutors said Adrian Procop, one of two thieves who allegedly carried out the heist at Rotterdam's Kunsthal Museum in October 2012, was arrested Thursday in Britain.
British police confirmed that Procop appeared at London's Westminster Magistrate's Court and has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance, set for Dec. 13.
London's Metropolitan Police said Procop was originally arrested for allegedly possessing a false identity document. He was arrested again on a European warrant issued by Romanian authorities for suspicion of professional theft relating to the paintings.
Two other suspects, Radu Dogaru and Eugen Darie, were found guilty of theft and belonging to a criminal organization and sentenced to six years and eight months in prison by a Bucharest court last month. Darie transported the stolen paintings to Romania.
Trial resumes Dec. 3 for Olga Dogaru, Radu's mother, and two others. Olga Dogaru told prosecutors she burned the seven paintings worth 18 million euros ($24.6 million) but later retracted that statement.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs GM: Shortstop position still up for grabs
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.