Final suspect in Dutch art heist arrested
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - British police have arrested the final suspect in the theft of paintings by Matisse, Picasso and Monet from a Dutch museum.
In a statement Friday, prosecutors said Adrian Procop, one of two thieves who allegedly carried out the heist at Rotterdam's Kunsthal Museum in October 2012, was arrested Thursday in Britain.
British police confirmed that Procop appeared at London's Westminster Magistrate's Court and has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance, set for Dec. 13.
London's Metropolitan Police said Procop was originally arrested for allegedly possessing a false identity document. He was arrested again on a European warrant issued by Romanian authorities for suspicion of professional theft relating to the paintings.
Two other suspects, Radu Dogaru and Eugen Darie, were found guilty of theft and belonging to a criminal organization and sentenced to six years and eight months in prison by a Bucharest court last month. Darie transported the stolen paintings to Romania.
Trial resumes Dec. 3 for Olga Dogaru, Radu's mother, and two others. Olga Dogaru told prosecutors she burned the seven paintings worth 18 million euros ($24.6 million) but later retracted that statement.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.