Final suspect in Dutch art heist arrested
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) - British police have arrested the final suspect in the theft of paintings by Matisse, Picasso and Monet from a Dutch museum.
In a statement Friday, prosecutors said Adrian Procop, one of two thieves who allegedly carried out the heist at Rotterdam's Kunsthal Museum in October 2012, was arrested Thursday in Britain.
British police confirmed that Procop appeared at London's Westminster Magistrate's Court and has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance, set for Dec. 13.
London's Metropolitan Police said Procop was originally arrested for allegedly possessing a false identity document. He was arrested again on a European warrant issued by Romanian authorities for suspicion of professional theft relating to the paintings.
Two other suspects, Radu Dogaru and Eugen Darie, were found guilty of theft and belonging to a criminal organization and sentenced to six years and eight months in prison by a Bucharest court last month. Darie transported the stolen paintings to Romania.
Trial resumes Dec. 3 for Olga Dogaru, Radu's mother, and two others. Olga Dogaru told prosecutors she burned the seven paintings worth 18 million euros ($24.6 million) but later retracted that statement.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.