RSC to stage Hilary Mantel adaptations
LONDON (AP) - "Doctor Who" star David Tennant is returning to the Royal Shakespeare Company this year to play a troubled king in "Richard II."
Tennant, who played the time-traveling hero in four seasons of the beloved, long-running BBC sci-fi series, starred in an acclaimed RSC production of "Hamlet" in 2008.
Artistic director Gregory Doran- who will direct "Richard II"- announced details Wednesday of the company's productions for late 2013. They include adaptations of Hilary Mantel's Booker Prize-winning historical novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies," which focus on King Henry VIII's enigmatic powerbroker, Thomas Cromwell.
"Richard II" opens in October at the company's base in Stratford-upon-Avon, central England, before a London run. The Mantel plays open in Stratford in December.
The season also includes "Wendy and Peter Pan," a new adaptation of J.M. Barrie's children's classic by playwright Ella Hickson.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.