RSC to stage Hilary Mantel adaptations
LONDON (AP) - "Doctor Who" star David Tennant is returning to the Royal Shakespeare Company this year to play a troubled king in "Richard II."
Tennant, who played the time-traveling hero in four seasons of the beloved, long-running BBC sci-fi series, starred in an acclaimed RSC production of "Hamlet" in 2008.
Artistic director Gregory Doran- who will direct "Richard II"- announced details Wednesday of the company's productions for late 2013. They include adaptations of Hilary Mantel's Booker Prize-winning historical novels "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies," which focus on King Henry VIII's enigmatic powerbroker, Thomas Cromwell.
"Richard II" opens in October at the company's base in Stratford-upon-Avon, central England, before a London run. The Mantel plays open in Stratford in December.
The season also includes "Wendy and Peter Pan," a new adaptation of J.M. Barrie's children's classic by playwright Ella Hickson.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.