D-backs trade Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves
According to various reports, the D-backs have traded Upton to the Atlanta Braves along with third baseman Chris Johnson for outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado, right-handed starter Randall Delgado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, right-hander Zeke Spruill and infielder Brandon Drury.
Upton, a two-time All-Star, will now play alongside his older brother, B.J., who signed a five-year, $75 million deal in the offseason.
At the center of the return for the Diamondbacks is Prado, who was an All-Star in 2010. Last season, Prado hit .301 with 10 homers and 70 RBI in 156 games for Atlanta. Prado, 29, has one year left on his contract. He requested $7.05 million in arbitration from Atlanta and was offered $6.65 from the club.
Delgado started 17 games for the Braves last season, posting a 4-9 record and a 4.37 ERA. He is 22 years old.
Ahmed, 22, was a second round pick of the Braves in 2011. He spent the 2012 season with Lynchburg in Class-A ball. He batted .269 with six home runs and 49 RBI while posting a .963 fielding percentage.
Spruill, is rated as the Braves' ninth-best prospect according to Baseball America. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound righty went 9-11 with a 3.67 ERA in 2012 for Double-A Mississippi. He has a 38-33 record in five minor league seasons after being a second round pick of the Braves out of Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia in 2008.
Drury, 20, was a 13th round selection of the Braves in 2010. He spent 2012 with Rome in the Class-A South Atlantic League, hitting .229 with six homers and 51 RBI while playing primarily the corner infield positions.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series