Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 8:50 am
D-backs trade Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves
According to various reports, the D-backs have traded Upton to the Atlanta Braves along with third baseman Chris Johnson for outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado, right-handed starter Randall Delgado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, right-hander Zeke Spruill and infielder Brandon Drury.
Upton, a two-time All-Star, will now play alongside his older brother, B.J., who signed a five-year, $75 million deal in the offseason.
At the center of the return for the Diamondbacks is Prado, who was an All-Star in 2010. Last season, Prado hit .301 with 10 homers and 70 RBI in 156 games for Atlanta. Prado, 29, has one year left on his contract. He requested $7.05 million in arbitration from Atlanta and was offered $6.65 from the club.
Delgado started 17 games for the Braves last season, posting a 4-9 record and a 4.37 ERA. He is 22 years old.
Ahmed, 22, was a second round pick of the Braves in 2011. He spent the 2012 season with Lynchburg in Class-A ball. He batted .269 with six home runs and 49 RBI while posting a .963 fielding percentage.
Spruill, is rated as the Braves' ninth-best prospect according to Baseball America. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound righty went 9-11 with a 3.67 ERA in 2012 for Double-A Mississippi. He has a 38-33 record in five minor league seasons after being a second round pick of the Braves out of Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia in 2008.
Drury, 20, was a 13th round selection of the Braves in 2010. He spent 2012 with Rome in the Class-A South Atlantic League, hitting .229 with six homers and 51 RBI while playing primarily the corner infield positions.
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.