Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 8:50 am
D-backs trade Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves
According to various reports, the D-backs have traded Upton to the Atlanta Braves along with third baseman Chris Johnson for outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado, right-handed starter Randall Delgado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, right-hander Zeke Spruill and infielder Brandon Drury.
Upton, a two-time All-Star, will now play alongside his older brother, B.J., who signed a five-year, $75 million deal in the offseason.
At the center of the return for the Diamondbacks is Prado, who was an All-Star in 2010. Last season, Prado hit .301 with 10 homers and 70 RBI in 156 games for Atlanta. Prado, 29, has one year left on his contract. He requested $7.05 million in arbitration from Atlanta and was offered $6.65 from the club.
Delgado started 17 games for the Braves last season, posting a 4-9 record and a 4.37 ERA. He is 22 years old.
Ahmed, 22, was a second round pick of the Braves in 2011. He spent the 2012 season with Lynchburg in Class-A ball. He batted .269 with six home runs and 49 RBI while posting a .963 fielding percentage.
Spruill, is rated as the Braves' ninth-best prospect according to Baseball America. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound righty went 9-11 with a 3.67 ERA in 2012 for Double-A Mississippi. He has a 38-33 record in five minor league seasons after being a second round pick of the Braves out of Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia in 2008.
Drury, 20, was a 13th round selection of the Braves in 2010. He spent 2012 with Rome in the Class-A South Atlantic League, hitting .229 with six homers and 51 RBI while playing primarily the corner infield positions.
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?