Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 8:50 am
D-backs trade Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves
According to various reports, the D-backs have traded Upton to the Atlanta Braves along with third baseman Chris Johnson for outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado, right-handed starter Randall Delgado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, right-hander Zeke Spruill and infielder Brandon Drury.
Upton, a two-time All-Star, will now play alongside his older brother, B.J., who signed a five-year, $75 million deal in the offseason.
At the center of the return for the Diamondbacks is Prado, who was an All-Star in 2010. Last season, Prado hit .301 with 10 homers and 70 RBI in 156 games for Atlanta. Prado, 29, has one year left on his contract. He requested $7.05 million in arbitration from Atlanta and was offered $6.65 from the club.
Delgado started 17 games for the Braves last season, posting a 4-9 record and a 4.37 ERA. He is 22 years old.
Ahmed, 22, was a second round pick of the Braves in 2011. He spent the 2012 season with Lynchburg in Class-A ball. He batted .269 with six home runs and 49 RBI while posting a .963 fielding percentage.
Spruill, is rated as the Braves' ninth-best prospect according to Baseball America. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound righty went 9-11 with a 3.67 ERA in 2012 for Double-A Mississippi. He has a 38-33 record in five minor league seasons after being a second round pick of the Braves out of Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia in 2008.
Drury, 20, was a 13th round selection of the Braves in 2010. He spent 2012 with Rome in the Class-A South Atlantic League, hitting .229 with six homers and 51 RBI while playing primarily the corner infield positions.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.