Queen Fabiola annuls foundation seen as tax dodge
BRUSSELS (AP) - Belgium's Queen Fabiola won't set up an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a dodge to shield some of her fortune from the tax man.
Two weeks after she was rebuked by Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo, the 84-year-old widow of former King Baudouin announced her decision Friday and apologized that it had created `'such negative reactions."
The government had called the queen's plan to create a private fund to deal with her inheritance ethically flawed even if it was strictly legal.
Fabiola, who is childless, insisted that none of the money granted to her by the government- almost (EURO)1.5 million ($2 million) a year- would have been used in the new fund, which would only include her private money.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.