Queen Fabiola annuls foundation seen as tax dodge
BRUSSELS (AP) - Belgium's Queen Fabiola won't set up an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a dodge to shield some of her fortune from the tax man.
Two weeks after she was rebuked by Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo, the 84-year-old widow of former King Baudouin announced her decision Friday and apologized that it had created `'such negative reactions."
The government had called the queen's plan to create a private fund to deal with her inheritance ethically flawed even if it was strictly legal.
Fabiola, who is childless, insisted that none of the money granted to her by the government- almost (EURO)1.5 million ($2 million) a year- would have been used in the new fund, which would only include her private money.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.