Review: `Hour of Peril' is compelling true story
(AP) - "The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War" (Minotaur Books), by Daniel Stashower
It's February 1861 and Abraham Lincoln is making his way by train from Springfield, Ill., to his inauguration in Washington, D.C., on March 4.
Allan Pinkerton and his renowned team of detectives have uncovered a plot to assassinate Lincoln before he arrives for his inauguration. They try to convince Lincoln's advisers of the threat, but they refuse to believe the danger is real.
"The Hour of Peril" by Daniel Stashower tells the true story of Pinkerton and his team, who created a bold plan to not only uncover the conspirators, but also insure Lincoln's safety as he traveled through the northern United States on his way to Washington.
The narrative reads like the best political thriller. Pinkerton was a controversial public figure, and the historical record questions much of how he handled high-profile cases. He was willing to bend the law if it meant success.
The threat may or may not have existed, and the conspiracy is still historically disputed. But Lincoln's decision to listen to Pinkerton and arrive in Baltimore in the middle of the night may have saved his life.
Who knows how history would have changed without Lincoln at the nation's helm during the Civil War?
The story of a charismatic detective trying to convince Lincoln of an assassination plot and a man adapting to lead the country that was dividing proves to be a great addition for fans of great books of history.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.