Review: `Hour of Peril' is compelling true story
(AP) - "The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War" (Minotaur Books), by Daniel Stashower
It's February 1861 and Abraham Lincoln is making his way by train from Springfield, Ill., to his inauguration in Washington, D.C., on March 4.
Allan Pinkerton and his renowned team of detectives have uncovered a plot to assassinate Lincoln before he arrives for his inauguration. They try to convince Lincoln's advisers of the threat, but they refuse to believe the danger is real.
"The Hour of Peril" by Daniel Stashower tells the true story of Pinkerton and his team, who created a bold plan to not only uncover the conspirators, but also insure Lincoln's safety as he traveled through the northern United States on his way to Washington.
The narrative reads like the best political thriller. Pinkerton was a controversial public figure, and the historical record questions much of how he handled high-profile cases. He was willing to bend the law if it meant success.
The threat may or may not have existed, and the conspiracy is still historically disputed. But Lincoln's decision to listen to Pinkerton and arrive in Baltimore in the middle of the night may have saved his life.
Who knows how history would have changed without Lincoln at the nation's helm during the Civil War?
The story of a charismatic detective trying to convince Lincoln of an assassination plot and a man adapting to lead the country that was dividing proves to be a great addition for fans of great books of history.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.