Belgian King Albert humbled by criticism
BRUSSELS (AP) - King Albert of Belgium has told 600 dignitaries that recent scandals involving his family have given him `'a lesson in humility."
During a royal reception Tuesday for political, economic and cultural leaders, Albert acknowledged that the Belgian monarchy had not kept to the standards he expected.
He said `'as the chief of my royal family, I will not hide from you that recent family events have hurt me and given me a lesson in humility."
Last week, Queen Fabiola, Albert's sister-in-law, was forced to scrap an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a tax dodge. And the king's son Prince Laurent again came under scrutiny for perceived diplomatic contacts that he should stay away from.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.