Belgian King Albert humbled by criticism
BRUSSELS (AP) - King Albert of Belgium has told 600 dignitaries that recent scandals involving his family have given him `'a lesson in humility."
During a royal reception Tuesday for political, economic and cultural leaders, Albert acknowledged that the Belgian monarchy had not kept to the standards he expected.
He said `'as the chief of my royal family, I will not hide from you that recent family events have hurt me and given me a lesson in humility."
Last week, Queen Fabiola, Albert's sister-in-law, was forced to scrap an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a tax dodge. And the king's son Prince Laurent again came under scrutiny for perceived diplomatic contacts that he should stay away from.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.