Belgian King Albert humbled by criticism
BRUSSELS (AP) - King Albert of Belgium has told 600 dignitaries that recent scandals involving his family have given him `'a lesson in humility."
During a royal reception Tuesday for political, economic and cultural leaders, Albert acknowledged that the Belgian monarchy had not kept to the standards he expected.
He said `'as the chief of my royal family, I will not hide from you that recent family events have hurt me and given me a lesson in humility."
Last week, Queen Fabiola, Albert's sister-in-law, was forced to scrap an inheritance foundation that was widely criticized as a tax dodge. And the king's son Prince Laurent again came under scrutiny for perceived diplomatic contacts that he should stay away from.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.