London theater sales hold up in Olympic year
LONDON (AP) - London's theaters say they had a strong 2012 despite the Olympics' "dampening effect" on ticket sales.
Figures released Tuesday show that almost 14 million tickets were sold for 52 playhouses in 2012, a 0.56 percent increase on the year before. Ticket revenue rose 0.27 percent to just under 530 million pounds ($835 million).
Attendance fell 3 percent for musicals but rose 9 percent for plays.
The Society of London Theater says sales and attendance dropped during the summer Games, but not as drastically as some had feared. There had been pre-games worries that concerns about transport mayhem and overcrowding would scare audiences away from central London.
Society president Mark Rubenstein said it was encouraging that sales had grown amid a struggling economy and in a year of "exceptional challenges."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.