Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
LONDON (AP) - Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.