Naomi Campbell wins libel case over elephant polo
LONDON (AP) - Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over a story that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner's birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin's 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Campbell's lawyer Gideon Benaim told a judge at London's High Court that the story was "simply false and the criticisms unfounded."
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, "attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell."
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph's publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published. But she said she was "glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper's apology."
The amount of the damages, described as "substantial," was not disclosed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.