Dali portrait on offer in surrealist auction
LONDON (AP) - Salvador Dali's portrait of a New York style icon and Joan Miro's homage to his Catalan roots are going on sale at a London auction of surrealist masterpieces.
Dali's 1943 "Portrait of Mrs. Harrison Williams" will go under the hammer Tuesday with an estimated price of between 1.5 million and 2 million pounds ($2.4 million and $3.2 million).
Dali painted the ultra-rich and super-stylish socialite- who later became Countess Mona Bismarck- barefoot and dressed in black rags.
Proceeds will go to the Mona Bismarck American Center in Paris, which promotes Franco-American cultural relations.
Also for sale is Miro's 1936 "The Farmer and His Wife," a vibrant portrait of human figures and barnyard animals, valued between 5.5 million pounds and 7.5 million pounds ($8.7 million to $11.9 million).
Reporters also were given a preview Thursday of Sotheby's February auctions of Impressionist, modern and contemporary art, including works by Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet, Egon Schiele, Francis Bacon and Jean-Michel Basquiat.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.