Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 1:26 pm
Former Diamondback Brandon Webb to retire
The ace of the Arizona Diamondbacks' staff, Webb had been an All-Star three times and won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006.
The right-hander got shelled that afternoon, allowing six earned runs in just four innings of work. He walked two and struck out two.
It was learned soon after that Webb had problems with his shoulder, and what followed was a lengthy and fruitless rehab process that never led to the pitcher returning to the mound in a big league game.
And now, as reported by ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick , instead of continuing to throw towels in hopes of healing, Webb is throwing in the towel on his MLB career.
Webb hangs up the cleats with a record of 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA. He pitched 1,319.2 innings, allowing 1,200 hits and 435 walks. He struck out 1,065 batters and tallied eight career shutouts.
Webb ranks third on the D-backs' all-time list in ERA and is second in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts, games started and shutouts.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.