Bard to stage Sergey Taneyev's opera 'Oresteia'
ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (AP) - Sergey Taneyev's opera "Oresteia" is being given its first fully staged American production at this summer's Bard SummerScape Festival in New York.
Bard College said Monday that Thaddeus Strassberger will direct the opera, which was composed from 1887-94 and is based on a trilogy by the ancient Greek writer of tragedies Aeschylus. There will be five performances from July 26 through Aug. 4.
This year's Bard Music Festival runs from July 6 to Aug. 18. It has a theme of "Stravinksy and His World," about composer Igor Stravinsky.
The festival includes the premiere of a stage adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov's 1937 novel "The Master and Margarita," which will be given 10 performances from July 11-21.
Events will be held at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard in Annandale-on-Hudson, 90 miles north of New York City.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.