Bard to stage Sergey Taneyev's opera 'Oresteia'
ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (AP) - Sergey Taneyev's opera "Oresteia" is being given its first fully staged American production at this summer's Bard SummerScape Festival in New York.
Bard College said Monday that Thaddeus Strassberger will direct the opera, which was composed from 1887-94 and is based on a trilogy by the ancient Greek writer of tragedies Aeschylus. There will be five performances from July 26 through Aug. 4.
This year's Bard Music Festival runs from July 6 to Aug. 18. It has a theme of "Stravinksy and His World," about composer Igor Stravinsky.
The festival includes the premiere of a stage adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov's 1937 novel "The Master and Margarita," which will be given 10 performances from July 11-21.
Events will be held at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard in Annandale-on-Hudson, 90 miles north of New York City.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.