Bard to stage Sergey Taneyev's opera 'Oresteia'
ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (AP) - Sergey Taneyev's opera "Oresteia" is being given its first fully staged American production at this summer's Bard SummerScape Festival in New York.
Bard College said Monday that Thaddeus Strassberger will direct the opera, which was composed from 1887-94 and is based on a trilogy by the ancient Greek writer of tragedies Aeschylus. There will be five performances from July 26 through Aug. 4.
This year's Bard Music Festival runs from July 6 to Aug. 18. It has a theme of "Stravinksy and His World," about composer Igor Stravinsky.
The festival includes the premiere of a stage adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov's 1937 novel "The Master and Margarita," which will be given 10 performances from July 11-21.
Events will be held at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard in Annandale-on-Hudson, 90 miles north of New York City.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.