Bard to stage Sergey Taneyev's opera 'Oresteia'
ANNANDALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (AP) - Sergey Taneyev's opera "Oresteia" is being given its first fully staged American production at this summer's Bard SummerScape Festival in New York.
Bard College said Monday that Thaddeus Strassberger will direct the opera, which was composed from 1887-94 and is based on a trilogy by the ancient Greek writer of tragedies Aeschylus. There will be five performances from July 26 through Aug. 4.
This year's Bard Music Festival runs from July 6 to Aug. 18. It has a theme of "Stravinksy and His World," about composer Igor Stravinsky.
The festival includes the premiere of a stage adaptation of Mikhail Bulgakov's 1937 novel "The Master and Margarita," which will be given 10 performances from July 11-21.
Events will be held at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard in Annandale-on-Hudson, 90 miles north of New York City.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.