Brazil Carnival dancers, iconic samba parade stars
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Swathed in nothing but a sprinkling of sequins and a puff of feathers, Rio de Janeiro's samba group dancers are the star attractions of the world's most iconic Carnival celebrations.
But they're not on the payroll of the samba groups they represent- and many have to work decidedly unglamorous jobs, serving as maids or secretaries to make ends meet.
Diana Prado spends her daylight hours working as a supervisor at a call center. At night, she is a samba dancer, or "passista," as they're known in Portuguese, for the Sao Clemente group.
"I get up, run to dance class, come to work, go to rehearsal and fall into bed," said Prado, wearing a headset and sitting among the cubicles at her downtown Rio office." In the run-up to Carnival, it's pretty chaotic. I don't sleep much at all from September through now."
Prado, 26, made her Carnival debut seven years ago, after auditioning for a spot with the Sao Clemente, one of 13 top-tier schools that will compete for the annual titles at the Sambadrome this weekend.
Although her hectic schedule of pre-Carnival preparations often requires her to apply her extravagant glitter stage makeup in the office bathroom, Prado insists being a passista doesn't undermine her authority with the 15 telemarketers she supervises.
"We see how determined she is, how she busts her butt to get everything done and it's really admirable," said employee Ana Lucia Oliveira. "I'm from Rio and grew up with Carnival, loving Carnival, so it's amazing to be this close to someone who lives Carnival every day."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.