Burned opera fire-blower released from hospital
MAYWOOD, Ill. (AP) - A fire-blowing stilt-walker with the Lyric Opera of Chicago who suffered second-degree burns during a dress rehearsal was released from the hospital Thursday.
Dr. Arthur Sanford of Loyola University Medical Center said Wesley Daniel, 24, should heal within two weeks. He equated the injuries to a "deep sunburn," and said that within six months, the incident should likely be a "bad memory."
Daniel was rehearsing Monday for the opera "Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg" when he had to swig flammable liquid and spit it onto a torch he was holding. Witnesses described him staggering off stage and falling to the floor.
The hospital released a picture of a Daniel with bandages over his face, head and left hand and giving an "OK" sign.
"Wesley is in good spirits," Daniel's father, Clifton Daniel, said. "We're going to take him home and let him eat what he wants ... We're going to let him rest and begin to heal."
Clifton Daniel says his son hasn't been able to give a cause for the accident.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration visited the opera after the incident. The opera has said it is fully cooperating.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.