Nautical but nice: Gaultier opens Rotterdam show
PARIS (AP) - Paris fashion's enfant terrible, Jean Paul Gaultier, has inaugurated his first international exhibit at Europe's largest port: the Dutch city of Rotterdam.
The location is perhaps unsurprising given that the Paris couturier is famed for his nautical stripe motifs.
The "Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier" exhibit at the Dutch port's Kunsthal gallery, which opens Sunday, traces about 35 years of the designer's avant-garde creations.
More than 140 original creations are in the mix, from the 60-year-old Gaultier's haute couture line to his ready-to-wear selections. Also included, on loan, are Gaultier designs such as Madonna's post-feminist conical bra, long the stuff of fashion legend, as well as movie costumes for Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar.
Though Rotterdam is far from Paris, Gaultier brought it a little nearer to home by adding nautical stripes to a Thalys train that links the French capital with the Dutch city 442 kilometers (275 miles) away.
Inaugurating the show Friday, Gaultier joked about his "fixation with stripes, because when I was a child I used to have a striped T-shirt."
The exhibit runs until May 12.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.