Nautical but nice: Gaultier opens Rotterdam show
PARIS (AP) - Paris fashion's enfant terrible, Jean Paul Gaultier, has inaugurated his first international exhibit at Europe's largest port: the Dutch city of Rotterdam.
The location is perhaps unsurprising given that the Paris couturier is famed for his nautical stripe motifs.
The "Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier" exhibit at the Dutch port's Kunsthal gallery, which opens Sunday, traces about 35 years of the designer's avant-garde creations.
More than 140 original creations are in the mix, from the 60-year-old Gaultier's haute couture line to his ready-to-wear selections. Also included, on loan, are Gaultier designs such as Madonna's post-feminist conical bra, long the stuff of fashion legend, as well as movie costumes for Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar.
Though Rotterdam is far from Paris, Gaultier brought it a little nearer to home by adding nautical stripes to a Thalys train that links the French capital with the Dutch city 442 kilometers (275 miles) away.
Inaugurating the show Friday, Gaultier joked about his "fixation with stripes, because when I was a child I used to have a striped T-shirt."
The exhibit runs until May 12.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?