Lord brings Caribbean voice to science fiction
(AP) - "The Best of All Possible Worlds" (Del Rey), by Karen Lord
Science fiction gets a Caribbean perspective in Barbados-based Karen Lord's "The Best of All Possible Worlds."
The ambitious novel follows the plight of the male survivors of a superior human civilization, reduced to lonely refugees by the annihilation of their home planet. They settle on a galactic hinterland that's home to their very distant relatives, along with pioneers and misfits making the best of homesteads, uncertainty and dismissal by supposedly superior societies.
Lord imagines the planet as an expanded Caribbean, a complicated population subtly divided by physical traits, lineage and language. She trades, though, the Afro-Caribbean folk traditions that influenced her first novel, "Redemption in Indigo," for the works of Ray Bradbury as inspiration for the quest at the heart of "The Best of All Possible Worlds."
The survivors must navigate tense conflicts over beliefs, social customs and the trafficking of goods and people as they try to find their place in a new world. Their search for wives and stability is by turns amusing and harrowing as they balance the rigid traditions of their past with the habits of a culture far more accustomed to migration and upheaval.
"The Best of All Possible Worlds" is overlong and its narration can be clumsy, but it poses an interesting question: What parts of you do you fight to preserve when everything you know suddenly changes?
Follow Jennifer Kay on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jnkay.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.