Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Mark Grace to work for Diamondbacks as assistant coach
The D-backs confirmed Monday that Grace will be an assistant coach. He will work as an infielding and hitting instructor during Spring Training and will roam between minor league teams during the regular season.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
Grace was arrested last summer for driving under the influence after having done the same thing in May 2011. He started a fourth month stay at "Tent City" on February 10, where he will be from 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on a daily basis. He is only allowed to leave in order to go to work.
Grace played for the Diamondbacks from 2001-2003 and helped the team win the World Series in 2001. Before that he was with the Chicago Cubs, and D-backs manager Kirk Gibson believes the former All-Star has plenty to offer the team in his new role.
"He's got a lot of knowledge and wisdom, he's been in the game a long time and he's got a great sense of humor," Gibson said. "We felt like he had something to add."
Gibson called the move a "no brainer" and said things have been going well so far.
Grace was a career .303 hitter who also won four Gold Gloves at first base. He had been working on the TV broadcasts for the team since 2004.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.