Morrissey mauling wins Hatchet Job review prize
LONDON (AP) - It was Morrissey who once sang: "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now."
The former Smiths frontman may wish to replay the song. A savage review of his best-selling memoir won Britain's Hatchet Job award Tuesday for the year's most cutting book review.
Writing in Britain's Sunday Times newspaper, journalist A.A. Gill said Morrissey's "Autobiography" was "utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likability."
"Autobiography" topped the British best-seller lists when it was published last year. It appeared under the Penguin Classics imprint, a rare designation for a living writer.
In his review, Gill said that publishing the book as a classic "doesn't diminish Aristotle or Homer or Tolstoy; it just roundly mocks Morrissey."
The Hatchet Job award was established in 2011 by literary website The Omnivore to honor "the angriest, funniest, most trenchant" review published in a newspaper or magazine. It has been criticized for rewarding mean-spiritedness, but organizers say the tongue-in-cheek contest has a serious purpose: to encourage reviewers to be fearless.
Gill receives a golden hatchet and a year's supply of potted shrimp from the award's sponsor, a fishmonger.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.