Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 7:20 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Team will rely more on speed in 2013
During his media session Tuesday, general manager Kevin Towers offered up a different label: not home run-dependent.
"With (Adam) Eaton at the top of the lineup and potentially (Gerardo) Parra when he's in there, I think there's a speed dynamic that we haven't had the last couple of years," Towers said. "Hopefully it's not a ball club that relies on the three-run home run to get back into games or win ballgames.
"I think when you look at our lineup, we're still going to hit a lot of home runs. But, we have more contact-type hitters, hopefully higher on-base (percentage) early in our lineup and an ability to apply pressure."
In 2012, the D-backs finished seventh-best in the league in OBP (.328) and 15th-best in home runs (165).
Speed, however, was a much bigger issue during the team's 81-81 campaign.
Arizona finished last season ranked second-worst in stolen bases percentage (successful only 65 percent of the time) and eighth-worst in stolen bases (93).
"I think it's now a more well-rounded club," said Towers. "I think there's a little more speed with the ball club offensively, a ton of versatility, great character, great makeup."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.