Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 7:20 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Team will rely more on speed in 2013
During his media session Tuesday, general manager Kevin Towers offered up a different label: not home run-dependent.
"With (Adam) Eaton at the top of the lineup and potentially (Gerardo) Parra when he's in there, I think there's a speed dynamic that we haven't had the last couple of years," Towers said. "Hopefully it's not a ball club that relies on the three-run home run to get back into games or win ballgames.
"I think when you look at our lineup, we're still going to hit a lot of home runs. But, we have more contact-type hitters, hopefully higher on-base (percentage) early in our lineup and an ability to apply pressure."
In 2012, the D-backs finished seventh-best in the league in OBP (.328) and 15th-best in home runs (165).
Speed, however, was a much bigger issue during the team's 81-81 campaign.
Arizona finished last season ranked second-worst in stolen bases percentage (successful only 65 percent of the time) and eighth-worst in stolen bases (93).
"I think it's now a more well-rounded club," said Towers. "I think there's a little more speed with the ball club offensively, a ton of versatility, great character, great makeup."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?