Norway honors Munch with 'The Scream' stamp
OSLO, Norway (AP) - Norway is celebrating the 150th anniversary of expressionist painter Edvard Munch's birth with postage stamps of his most famous compositions, including "The Scream"- the world's most expensive artwork ever sold at auction.
Norway Post spokesman Hilde Ebeltoft-Skaugrud says that four stamps of Munch's works, including his 1895 classic "Madonna," and a miniature sheet will go on sale Friday.
Ebeltoft-Skaugard said Wednesday that "The Scream" had not been on stamps before because it hadn't become synonymous "40 or 50 years ago" with Munch as it has done today.
Munch, who died in 1944, painted four versions of "The Scream." The one used for the 20-kroner ($3.60) stamp is at the National Museum in Oslo.
In May, an anonymous private collector paid $120 million for "The Scream" at Sotheby's.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.