Winner of top dog competition heads to Broadway
NEW YORK (AP) - The Best in Show winner at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is heading to Broadway. Not to see a show- to be in one.
The Roundabout Theatre Company said Banana Joe, the 5-year-old affenpinscher who emerged triumphant Tuesday at America's premier dog competition, will appear for one night only in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" on Wednesday.
The dog will replace Macaco, the 5-year old Maltese-Yorkie mix that is the real-life pet of actress Stephanie J. Block. The role requires very little: Block at one point appears to bolt from the theater in a huff while carrying a dog.
"Drood" and the revival of "Annie" are the only Broadway shows that currently feature live animals. Later this spring, a cat joins the fraternity when "Breakfast at Tiffany's" opens.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.