Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 5:51 pm
Diamondbacks GM Towers: Los Angeles Dodgers don't scare me
Their payroll has ballooned to over $200 million, and their roster is as star-studded as any in baseball.
Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Zack Grienke, Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Ted Lilly.
OK, maybe Ted Lilly doesn't in that group, but the point remains. This Dodgers team is loaded, and the Arizona Diamondbacks have to compete with them in the NL West.
Asked if the Dodgers scare or worry him, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers gave Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf an emphatic "no".
"I will say this: All my years in San Diego, we felt very comfortable in Chavez Ravine when I was with San Diego, and I think they knew it, we played them well," he said. "Since I've been with the Diamondbacks we play them well.
"I don't know what it is, but when you go to San Francisco it's a tough environment, you feel it. For some reason, we've always felt somewhat comfortable -- either being with the Padres or the Diamondbacks, regardless of how much they spent."
The Diamondbacks have won 12 of 18 games in Los Angeles since 2011, which was Towers' first season in Arizona. So there is truth to his claim that the D-backs seem to have little trouble playing in the City of Angels.
"I don't know if we get up for them or we feel we can play with them, but they don't scare me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.