Diamondbacks GM Towers: Los Angeles Dodgers don't scare me
Their payroll has ballooned to over $200 million, and their roster is as star-studded as any in baseball.
Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Zack Grienke, Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Ted Lilly.
OK, maybe Ted Lilly doesn't in that group, but the point remains. This Dodgers team is loaded, and the Arizona Diamondbacks have to compete with them in the NL West.
Asked if the Dodgers scare or worry him, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers gave Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf an emphatic "no".
"I will say this: All my years in San Diego, we felt very comfortable in Chavez Ravine when I was with San Diego, and I think they knew it, we played them well," he said. "Since I've been with the Diamondbacks we play them well.
"I don't know what it is, but when you go to San Francisco it's a tough environment, you feel it. For some reason, we've always felt somewhat comfortable -- either being with the Padres or the Diamondbacks, regardless of how much they spent."
The Diamondbacks have won 12 of 18 games in Los Angeles since 2011, which was Towers' first season in Arizona. So there is truth to his claim that the D-backs seem to have little trouble playing in the City of Angels.
"I don't know if we get up for them or we feel we can play with them, but they don't scare me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.