Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 5:51 pm
Diamondbacks GM Towers: Los Angeles Dodgers don't scare me
Their payroll has ballooned to over $200 million, and their roster is as star-studded as any in baseball.
Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Zack Grienke, Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Ted Lilly.
OK, maybe Ted Lilly doesn't in that group, but the point remains. This Dodgers team is loaded, and the Arizona Diamondbacks have to compete with them in the NL West.
Asked if the Dodgers scare or worry him, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers gave Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf an emphatic "no".
"I will say this: All my years in San Diego, we felt very comfortable in Chavez Ravine when I was with San Diego, and I think they knew it, we played them well," he said. "Since I've been with the Diamondbacks we play them well.
"I don't know what it is, but when you go to San Francisco it's a tough environment, you feel it. For some reason, we've always felt somewhat comfortable -- either being with the Padres or the Diamondbacks, regardless of how much they spent."
The Diamondbacks have won 12 of 18 games in Los Angeles since 2011, which was Towers' first season in Arizona. So there is truth to his claim that the D-backs seem to have little trouble playing in the City of Angels.
"I don't know if we get up for them or we feel we can play with them, but they don't scare me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.