Arizona Diamondbacks president Hall: 'Uptown' put too much pressure on Justin Upton
When the Arizona Diamondbacks traded Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, management was happy with the package they got in return for their former franchise star.
But the team does think they may have mishandled the way they marketed their right fielder when he was in Arizona.
D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday the team regrets creating ‘Uptown', a tribute they had in the right field bleachers to their rising star. The team took down the sign before Upton was dealt.
"Yeah probably wouldn't have done it and it's because we put so much pressure on that kid at a time when we probably shouldn't have," Hall said. "But we put the whole weight of the world on his shoulders and he handled it fine."
Upton also had to deal with hearing his name in trade rumors for the past few seasons, which undoubtedly took its toll on the 25-year-old. Despite the constant chatter and uncertainty regarding his future, Hall said Upton behaved like a consummate professional.
"I have to say [Upton] handled all of this beautifully," Hall said. "He could have been upset. He could have pouted. He could have made comments the last couple of years and he never did and I credit him for that. But that's a lot of pressure to put on someone."
But now that the Upton Era is over in Arizona, Hall said the team has re-shifted its focus to branding the team in a new way.
"I think looking back ['Uptown'] was probably a mistake on our part and what's beautiful now is it's all about the entire team. It's about us. It's really going to be a theme this year," Hall said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.