Arizona Diamondbacks president Hall: 'Uptown' put too much pressure on Justin Upton
When the Arizona Diamondbacks traded Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, management was happy with the package they got in return for their former franchise star.
But the team does think they may have mishandled the way they marketed their right fielder when he was in Arizona.
D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday the team regrets creating ‘Uptown', a tribute they had in the right field bleachers to their rising star. The team took down the sign before Upton was dealt.
"Yeah probably wouldn't have done it and it's because we put so much pressure on that kid at a time when we probably shouldn't have," Hall said. "But we put the whole weight of the world on his shoulders and he handled it fine."
Upton also had to deal with hearing his name in trade rumors for the past few seasons, which undoubtedly took its toll on the 25-year-old. Despite the constant chatter and uncertainty regarding his future, Hall said Upton behaved like a consummate professional.
"I have to say [Upton] handled all of this beautifully," Hall said. "He could have been upset. He could have pouted. He could have made comments the last couple of years and he never did and I credit him for that. But that's a lot of pressure to put on someone."
But now that the Upton Era is over in Arizona, Hall said the team has re-shifted its focus to branding the team in a new way.
"I think looking back ['Uptown'] was probably a mistake on our part and what's beautiful now is it's all about the entire team. It's about us. It's really going to be a theme this year," Hall said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.