Long-married couples share their secrets to love
NEW YORK (AP) - Couples who've been married longer than 50 years and organizers of a Valentine's Day champagne party for them in Brooklyn share tips for staying together.
Murray and Esther Redlitz, married 66 years
"You've got to know each other for a while and then compromise," says Murray. "Think what the other thinks. Don't be selfish."
David and Faina Shamrakov, married 58 years
"We have the same interests- we worked together, we both like to read books, we go to the library, the cinema, the theater," says Faina. "We do everything together."
Fortuno and Maddalena Corso, married 72 years
"You don't go to bed mad," says the couple's daughter, Madeline Corso, recalling her father's advice. "That's what he believes in."
Marty and Jamie Markowitz, organizers of the party, married 13 years
"Here's the secret: Happy wife, happy life. It's as simple as that. That's it," says Marty. "There's nothing more. ... It's as simple as that. It makes your life so much better if they're happy."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.