Long-married couples share their secrets to love
NEW YORK (AP) - Couples who've been married longer than 50 years and organizers of a Valentine's Day champagne party for them in Brooklyn share tips for staying together.
Murray and Esther Redlitz, married 66 years
"You've got to know each other for a while and then compromise," says Murray. "Think what the other thinks. Don't be selfish."
David and Faina Shamrakov, married 58 years
"We have the same interests- we worked together, we both like to read books, we go to the library, the cinema, the theater," says Faina. "We do everything together."
Fortuno and Maddalena Corso, married 72 years
"You don't go to bed mad," says the couple's daughter, Madeline Corso, recalling her father's advice. "That's what he believes in."
Marty and Jamie Markowitz, organizers of the party, married 13 years
"Here's the secret: Happy wife, happy life. It's as simple as that. That's it," says Marty. "There's nothing more. ... It's as simple as that. It makes your life so much better if they're happy."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.