Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 4:25 pm
Vasgersian: GM Towers molding D-backs into SF Giants
Vasgersian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that general manager Kevin Towers' offseason moves are an attempt to become like the San Francisco Giants.
"This is probably what Kevin has looked at, he needs to only look at the team that has won two of the last three World Series that plays just north of (Phoenix) in San Francisco," he said. "They share a division, he sees what they have there, and they have had a collection of that type of player win for them the last few years."
The MLB network personality compared one of San Francisco's key acquisitions at the trade deadline last year to Arizona's most recent get.
"Marco Scutaro, versatile -- hits everywhere in the lineup and plays multiple positions -- that's your Prado type," he said.
Vasgersian highlighted the type of character the Giants' players possess that Towers is trying emulate in his clubhouse.
"When Hunter Pence became a Giant he brought more of that 'dirtbag baseball' guy mentality to that city -- fight, scrap, scratch and grind," Vasgersian said. "I think that the guys that run that team in Arizona have looked at the Giants and said ‘here's part of their success and that's something we can probably execute too'.
"And if in fact that's what they're doing, I think they've looked at the Giants as a prototype there."
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?