Vasgersian: GM Towers molding D-backs into SF Giants
Vasgersian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that general manager Kevin Towers' offseason moves are an attempt to become like the San Francisco Giants.
"This is probably what Kevin has looked at, he needs to only look at the team that has won two of the last three World Series that plays just north of (Phoenix) in San Francisco," he said. "They share a division, he sees what they have there, and they have had a collection of that type of player win for them the last few years."
The MLB network personality compared one of San Francisco's key acquisitions at the trade deadline last year to Arizona's most recent get.
"Marco Scutaro, versatile -- hits everywhere in the lineup and plays multiple positions -- that's your Prado type," he said.
Vasgersian highlighted the type of character the Giants' players possess that Towers is trying emulate in his clubhouse.
"When Hunter Pence became a Giant he brought more of that 'dirtbag baseball' guy mentality to that city -- fight, scrap, scratch and grind," Vasgersian said. "I think that the guys that run that team in Arizona have looked at the Giants and said ‘here's part of their success and that's something we can probably execute too'.
"And if in fact that's what they're doing, I think they've looked at the Giants as a prototype there."
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.