Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 4:25 pm
Vasgersian: GM Towers molding D-backs into SF Giants
Vasgersian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that general manager Kevin Towers' offseason moves are an attempt to become like the San Francisco Giants.
"This is probably what Kevin has looked at, he needs to only look at the team that has won two of the last three World Series that plays just north of (Phoenix) in San Francisco," he said. "They share a division, he sees what they have there, and they have had a collection of that type of player win for them the last few years."
The MLB network personality compared one of San Francisco's key acquisitions at the trade deadline last year to Arizona's most recent get.
"Marco Scutaro, versatile -- hits everywhere in the lineup and plays multiple positions -- that's your Prado type," he said.
Vasgersian highlighted the type of character the Giants' players possess that Towers is trying emulate in his clubhouse.
"When Hunter Pence became a Giant he brought more of that 'dirtbag baseball' guy mentality to that city -- fight, scrap, scratch and grind," Vasgersian said. "I think that the guys that run that team in Arizona have looked at the Giants and said ‘here's part of their success and that's something we can probably execute too'.
"And if in fact that's what they're doing, I think they've looked at the Giants as a prototype there."
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.