Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 3:51 pm
D-backs' Brad Ziegler: 'We feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball'
Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers focused a lot of his attention this offseason on crafting one of major league baseball's elite bullpens.
Towers added veteran Heath Bell, Tony Sipp and Matt Reynolds to a cast that already includes closer J.J. Putz, David Hernandez, Josh Collmenter and ground ball specialist Brad Ziegler.
Ziegler assumed a pivotal role in the D-backs bullpen late in games last season. The right-hander posted a 6-1 record with a 2.49 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 17 holds and 42 strikeouts in 68.2 IP.
The 33-year-old reliever thinks the D-backs bullpen could indeed prove to be the game's best.
"On paper sky's the limit," Ziegler told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Friday. "I don't think there's any question we feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball and now it's just a matter of going out and proving it."
The importance of building a standout bullpen is crucial when constructing a winning ball club, and Ziegler is confident the D-backs' relievers ability to close out games consistently will help them contend in a deep NL West.
"I think it's a huge point," Ziegler said. "Having starters that can go deep into games, keep us in games is huge. Then we have guys that are not going to give up leads that helps give the whole team confidence."
Ziegler knows despite the strength of the bullpen on paper, it's up to the players to go out on a nightly basis and prove they are worthy of the offseason accolades bestowed upon them.
"No one's going to hand it to us late in the game. We got to go out and execute pitches and go out and do the little things," Ziegler said. "You've got to focus every single pitch, get your one inning in there, get out of the game and let the guys after you take care of the business."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.