Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Eric Chavez respects his role with Diamondbacks
One of those new faces was infielder Eric Chavez, who was picked up as a free agent after leaving the New York Yankees.
The 15-year veteran was brought in to provide depth on the left side of the infield.
The layout of the D-backs is something that attracted Chavez to the Valley, and says the team presents a lot of upside.
"What they're trying to do here is build an atmosphere of playing the game right: show up to play every single day, play hard ... build a good nucleus (and) a good clubhouse," said Chavez.
Cody Ross, Brandon McCarthy, Martin Prado and Eric Hinske are all new additions that bring a team-first mentality, and Chavez said that's what makes a winning team.
"The personalities here are very selfless," said Chavez. "We're going to play for one another, we're going to have each other's back (and) hold each other accountable. That's the atmosphere they're trying to build here ... to surround that around Gibson, the way he played.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Chavez, a third baseman, will find playing time at the hot corner hard to come by after the acquisition of Prado in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta. But that does not matter to him, as Chavez has the utmost respect for the former Brave.
"It doesn't matter," said Chavez. "Prado is a stud. He's one of the top 20-25 players in the game.
"Within the game, he's got a lot of respect. I think the fans here in the Valley are going to be very happy he's here."
Chavez knows and respects the role manager Kirk Gibson has for him.
"I'm not the type of guy ... I don't need anything," said Chavez. "Gibby asked me how many at bats I want, and I said 'Gibby, I don't care.'
"I'll be ready to go every single day. I know I'm going to pinch hit a lot, (and) I'm looking forward to that."
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.