Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Eric Chavez respects his role with Diamondbacks
One of those new faces was infielder Eric Chavez, who was picked up as a free agent after leaving the New York Yankees.
The 15-year veteran was brought in to provide depth on the left side of the infield.
The layout of the D-backs is something that attracted Chavez to the Valley, and says the team presents a lot of upside.
"What they're trying to do here is build an atmosphere of playing the game right: show up to play every single day, play hard ... build a good nucleus (and) a good clubhouse," said Chavez.
Cody Ross, Brandon McCarthy, Martin Prado and Eric Hinske are all new additions that bring a team-first mentality, and Chavez said that's what makes a winning team.
"The personalities here are very selfless," said Chavez. "We're going to play for one another, we're going to have each other's back (and) hold each other accountable. That's the atmosphere they're trying to build here ... to surround that around Gibson, the way he played.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Chavez, a third baseman, will find playing time at the hot corner hard to come by after the acquisition of Prado in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta. But that does not matter to him, as Chavez has the utmost respect for the former Brave.
"It doesn't matter," said Chavez. "Prado is a stud. He's one of the top 20-25 players in the game.
"Within the game, he's got a lot of respect. I think the fans here in the Valley are going to be very happy he's here."
Chavez knows and respects the role manager Kirk Gibson has for him.
"I'm not the type of guy ... I don't need anything," said Chavez. "Gibby asked me how many at bats I want, and I said 'Gibby, I don't care.'
"I'll be ready to go every single day. I know I'm going to pinch hit a lot, (and) I'm looking forward to that."
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.