Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Eric Chavez respects his role with Diamondbacks
One of those new faces was infielder Eric Chavez, who was picked up as a free agent after leaving the New York Yankees.
The 15-year veteran was brought in to provide depth on the left side of the infield.
The layout of the D-backs is something that attracted Chavez to the Valley, and says the team presents a lot of upside.
"What they're trying to do here is build an atmosphere of playing the game right: show up to play every single day, play hard ... build a good nucleus (and) a good clubhouse," said Chavez.
Cody Ross, Brandon McCarthy, Martin Prado and Eric Hinske are all new additions that bring a team-first mentality, and Chavez said that's what makes a winning team.
"The personalities here are very selfless," said Chavez. "We're going to play for one another, we're going to have each other's back (and) hold each other accountable. That's the atmosphere they're trying to build here ... to surround that around Gibson, the way he played.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Chavez, a third baseman, will find playing time at the hot corner hard to come by after the acquisition of Prado in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta. But that does not matter to him, as Chavez has the utmost respect for the former Brave.
"It doesn't matter," said Chavez. "Prado is a stud. He's one of the top 20-25 players in the game.
"Within the game, he's got a lot of respect. I think the fans here in the Valley are going to be very happy he's here."
Chavez knows and respects the role manager Kirk Gibson has for him.
"I'm not the type of guy ... I don't need anything," said Chavez. "Gibby asked me how many at bats I want, and I said 'Gibby, I don't care.'
"I'll be ready to go every single day. I know I'm going to pinch hit a lot, (and) I'm looking forward to that."
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.